Car accidents are often a traumatic experience, but when the liable driver decides to take off after causing the accident, it can be substantially more complicated. Unfortunately, hit and run accidents are not uncommon in Orange County.
What to Do After a Hit and Run
If you are the victim in a hit and run accident, you should tackle this head-on to try and recover the damages you deserve. With Cohn & Swartzon, P.C. by your side, this isn’t the end and you will not have to remain a victim. In order to make the best of a bad situation, try to stay calm and follow these steps after being involved in a hit and run accident.
- Address any medical concerns: If any injuries were sustained during the accident, call the paramedics. Your health is a priority.
- File a police report: The police will need as much information as possible to assist in finding the guilty party. Ask any bystanders and passengers for details they observed. Documentation of just a few characters of the license plate can make a big difference.
- Gather evidence: Record the time, date, and location of the accident. Take pictures of the accident scene and your vehicle. Visible streaks of paint on your vehicle can be used as evidence against the offender and can help prove that you are not committing insurance fraud.
- Contact Cohn & Swartzon, P.C.: Do not try to handle this case on your own. Insurance companies are known for offering minimal compensation even for those with uninsured motorist coverage. Our team can assist with this process to help you fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve.
- Get legal advocacy from our firm: If the defendant or the other party is caught and criminally prosecuted for a hit and run, Cohn & Swartzon may be able to advocate on your behalf as a victim's rights attorney in a criminal case.
Call (888) 480-3883 for Professional Help in Orange County
Our Orange County car accident attorney can review each aspect of your case to help you build a strong case. There are specific issues that must be carefully addressed in hit and run cases and our legal professionals are highly experienced in handling hit & run injury claims. Our objective will be to seek the maximum compensation available. In some cases, you may even be entitled to punitive damages.
Schedule a free case evaluation with our team today to begin!